Located near Wanchese, on the Croatan Sound, the screw-pile lighthouse was built is 1877. It was actually the third lighthouse in it’s lineage. The first was built in 1831, but abandoned 8 years later. The second went into service in 1858, but disrepair put it out of commission in 1872. The powers that be struck gold with their third lighthouse, and after some trial and error, it was a working lighthouse for 60 years. The original was lost to the sound, after a private owner tried to move it.
It is open daily from 9am-5pm and is free to the public. There are exhibits on the history of Roanoke Island, including a feature on Warren O’Neal, the “father of the Carolina boat”.