This week we ventured to Chiles Peach Orchard in Crozet, VA for our very first field trip in the Funnest Summer Ever!! We have been to Chiles in falls past for apple picking, but this was our first time participating in the Come Grow With Us program. We picked up my sister and her girls and set off for the 25 minute drive over the mountain. When we arrived we met up with several of our Covenant Nursery School friends.
The cost for the program is $7 and you pay when you arrive. Then, everyone is guided to the orchard near the deck for story time. The children sat on blankets, underneath peach trees, and the parents gathered round. The theme this week was strawberries.
Following the story, the children were split into 2 groups. Our group headed to a picnic table under the peach trees. The kids made a strawberry craft. It was clever. Not only did they paint their strawberries, but they added gelatin (for scent) and seeds.
After the kids finished their masterpieces, we went to learn more about the life cycle of a strawberry. The staff talked about what was needed to grow a strawberry plant and had a great visual to go along with the short talk.
Then we loaded the kids up into pull-wagons and went into the field to pick our strawberries. There was an option to pay an additional $2 per child and $3 per adult to ride a hay wagon, but we opted for exercise.
Lastly, we finished up the morning with ice-cream! This yummy treat was thoroughly enjoyed by all. And, yes, it was strawberry flavored.
- Come Grow With Us is offered on Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10:30 am.
- $7 per child, under 2 is free if they don’t actively participate (make a craft, eat ice-cream). The cost includes story, craft, lesson, small container of fruit and ice-cream.
- Adults must accompany children; you can not drop your child off.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early to register. They do start right on time at 10:30 am.
- We arrived at 10:15 am and pulled out of the parking lot at 11:40 am. Plan on an hour and a half if you opt not to take the wagon ride. Budget about 2 hours if you ride the wagon.
- Wear play clothes and shoes; it is an orchard.
Have you visited Chiles Peach Orchard? Let us know what you think in the comments below.