We ventured to Boxerwood Nature Center and Woodland Garden as part of our Funnest Summer Ever!! I can not speak highly enough of Boxerwood. My boys spent two hours playing and would have stayed another two hours if I let them.
Located in Lexington, VA, Boxerwood offers an interactive play trail that allows kids to use their imagination, get dirty, and learn through play.
The trail includes a challenging slack line, mud tub, play kitchen, play house, creek, small mountain tunnel, digging to china and a tree house and den. Hours of fun!
After a good hour on the Play Trail, the boys were ready to explore more. We ventured down a few trails, towards a pond and took in the sights and sounds. I loved that there was art interspersed along the trails.
After our hike, we had a picnic lunch under the trees. And then, we played some more! There was a preschool group visiting and my boys loved playing with the other kids. I enjoyed chatting with the team members who make Boxerwood happen.
- Boxerwood is free, although free-will donations are most appreciated.
- There are bathrooms located in the main building, as long as there are staff members on duty. If not, there is a port-a-potty located at the head of the Play Trail.
- Check out the scavenger hunts that are pinned in the first “kisosk”.
- Wear play clothes…the kids will get dirty.
- Pack sunscreen, bug spray, water, and wipes (to clean the munchkins off).
- Pack a lunch–there is a nice area to eat.
Have you been to Boxerwood? Do you have any tips to share–if so leave them in the comments below.